Sunday, March 01, 2020

Gym Shut Down Due To Concern


On February 11th, I walked into work as usual. I had barely signed in on my timesheet when Steve had me come into a meeting with him and Colleen, who works in risk management.  Less than 15 minutes later, I was sent home. I was told that the park district has a concern about my health. I've been using a cane for about three years. "Why is there a concern now?" I asked. Colleen claimed not to know, while Steve remained silent. Before being allowed to return to work, I had to see a company doctor.

I saw the doctor, a kindly sort, who upon learning the Chicago Park District does not offer health insurance to most of its part-time employees, gave me information about a sliding-scale clinic near my home. I also finally learned that I have nerve damage in my left leg. It's treatable but the doctor I saw can't take me on as a patient due to conflict of interest. The doctor released me to return to work on light duty.

Upon returning to work the following day, Steve told me that HR had to clear me to return to work. HR claimed there is no light duty for the boxing program. Until I am cleared for full-duty with no restrictions, I'm not allowed to work.

I sent emails back and forth to HR and cc'd both Steve and Colleen about the situation.  I even got the union involved. But still, I have no clarification about the rules and regulations involving me being forced off of work. It appears that no one at CPD, nor the union, is willing to give answers. I've been using my limited sick time and personal days to cover my absence, because, well, I still have to pay bills. Yet the way I was blindsided by this makes me wonder if I'm still considered to be an employee of the park district.

A visit to the doctor at the sliding-scale clinic did not result in a recommendation that I can return to work. On my limited salary, I can't afford to keep paying to see them. This incident has put me into yet another set of shaky financial situations.

Meanwhile, the gym remains closed.  Next week is the end of the winter session. It's too late to gather anyone to get up to speed to participate in the Chicago Golden Glover nor the Chicago City-Wide Boxing Tournament.

I'm angry.


No comments: