Friday, February 07, 2020

Funny, But Not Funny


Jules, the teen who constantly asks questions yet has no listening skills, finally showed up at the boxing gym. "I know how to box," he told me. At that moment, I decided I was not doing any coaching. I leaned against the equipment table and let Jules show me what he knew.

The first clue that Jules' knowledge wasn't extensive was the fact the teen did not know how to wrap his hands. He had his own pair of boxing gloves, however. I also learned that Jules did not know what the bell timer was, nor the difference between the heavy and speed bags. Jules' punches were sloppy and unfocused. No head movement was done, and Jules' footwork was dismal. Every question he asked that most boxers would know I responded dryly to with, "I thought you knew how to box, Jules."

It was very hard to keep from laughing sarcastically, even though in reality, the situation wasn't funny. I didn't hold back on making sarcastic comments, however.  Jules is slow on the draw but manages to catch when I'm not in the mood for bull. He asked, "Is everything okay?" "Just fine, I'm just fine," I answered, barely hiding my smirk. I feel sometimes that Jules is trying to make me feel guilty for not acting friendly, but I got news for him - it won't work.

Finally, Jules said he never took one boxing lesson before. It was more like goofing around with friends after halfway paying attention to a boxing match on TV. "I know that this is going to be hard," Jules said, but I doubt that there is a clear understanding of what work has to go into learning the sport.

I was asked, "How late can I be to class?" followed by "I can't be here every day," because Jules is playing basketball. Jules begged me for weeks to be in the class. After finally getting that I was not going to let anyone in the class who had not registered, he brought his mom in to fill out the form. After all of that, it took three weeks for Jules to bring himself to the gym. Then Jules had the nerve to tell me what he can and can't do? Coach James told me Jules is a good kid. I don't know good kids who are manipulative, selfish, trying to run games on adults, hard-headed, and giving the impression of being uncoachable.



No comments: