Thursday, May 21, 2020

Boxing and A World-Wide Health Issue



The Chicago Park District has been closed since late March. The latest news is that the place will be closed until the end of this month. The spring session was canceled entirely. There are plans to have a shortened summer session, including the summer camp. I don't see how that's going to happen in light of social distancing rules. Regardless of what happens, it's unlikely that I will be allowed to continue there.

Steve, my supervisor, and everybody else noticed me using a cane for a little over three years and seemingly had no problem.  All of a sudden, me being on a cane became an issue. Way back in February of this year, I was ordered to see the company doctor. The doctor released me to go back to work on light duty. Human Resources refused to listen to the doctor's advice nor make an effort to place me elsewhere in the organization.  I've been in limbo ever since the last of my PTO (paid time off) ran out in March.

Not long afterward, COVID-19 rolled through and put everyone's plans on ice.

The boxing world is shut down. Oh, there's a lot of talk about staging pro fights without audiences to cut down on the spread of COVID-19, but in general, the sport is down for the count. The Chicago Golden Gloves were canceled. There's talk of rescheduling that for later this summer, but I have my doubts that will happen this year. However, the way things were going at LaFollette Park during the winter session, I probably would have come up empty-handed again when it came to having participants in the Gloves.

During my self-quarantine, I've been watching a lot of boxing videos online. One of my favorites is The Fight with Teddy Atlas, where the boxing analyst gives his thoughts on the sport. Just today, I saw a video by Shane Fazen where he offers a video sparring session to keep boxers on their game. It appears that the Chicago Park District has given up on me; however, my love of boxing remains. I need to figure out what to do with that love now.


No comments: