Wednesday, October 17, 2018

And Stuff Just Keeps Happening


Lael was the first one to arrive for class, and I decided to tone down the surly attitude I had with him the day before.  I kept an eye on the clock as it was getting late, and there was no sign of Henry and David.  I was also keeping a watch out for Malik who never keeps track of time as he usually walks into the middle of the youth class.

Julio, with a paper in hand, came in with his sons, Henry and David, behind him.  Lael has made fast friends with David, so they ran off around the gym.  Meanwhile, Henry dramatically removed his jacket.  I gasped loudly.  Henry's arm was in a splint, taped up from his shoulder to his wrist.  "What happened?" I asked.

The boys' father explained that Henry's arm kept hurting, so he took him to the emergency room the night before.  The ER personnel thought that Henry might have a hairline fracture.  The paper in Julio's hand was for a doctor's appointment to further check Henry's situation out.  Julio believes that Henry is going to need a cast.  "I don't need one!" Henry stubbornly said.  I sighed.  "We're not going to Simons Park tomorrow.  Can't take a chance on injuring that arm further," I said.  "But I can take this off," Henry said, indicating the splint.  "If the doctor says a cast has to go on that arm, Henry, you'll have to wear it," I answered. 


While Julio and I were having our conversation, Malik walked in eating something.  An apple, perhaps.  I wanted to talk to Malik separately; I wasn't going to allow him to go to Simons Park due to too many days of training missed.  Malik walked around for a moment.  Seeing how he couldn't interrupt two adults talking, he left.  I was hoping he would return later, but that did not happen.

Could Henry be okay to participate in Hamlin Park's show next week?  Anything is possible, but I'm not placing any bets on that happening.  I'm not going to let Malik go to Hamlin because I'm tired of constantly reminding him that he has to train in order to fight.  The fall session might as well end now.

At least the adult class will be on the schedule for the winter session.  Whether the few who told me they were interested in registering actually do so remains a mystery.  All I know is that I had no interest in expanding the youth or the teen class to 90 minutes to make up for a canceled adult class.  I believe all of the 21 field houses that have boxing programs include an adult class as part of that.  I did not want to be the only field house with a boxing program that did not offer that to adults.


No comments: