Friday, October 26, 2018

An Evening At Hamlin


I hadn't planned to attend Hamlin Park's boxing show.  Henry was advised by a doctor to stay away from the gym for the rest of the week because his arm needs to rest.  Malik messed himself out of participating in Hamlin's show as well as being able to participate in the shows at Simons Park and Loyola Park. 

But the deciding factor in me going to Hamlin was Lael ticking me off with his behavior the day before.  I had warned Lael before about bringing his toys, basically small action figures, to class and playing with them when he is supposed to be working out.  Lael had an attitude because I wouldn't allow him to play with the toys.  I didn't want to be bothered with the boy's attitude problem the next day, so I shut the gym down for the show.  Besides, I missed Simons Park, so I figured I should attend the show at Hamlin.

Normally, the "Hamlin killers" wipe the floors with their opponents.  But several Hamlin fighters lost their matches.  The Humboldt Park fighters, as well as the one fighter from Harrison Park, decided to show their power.  Another surprise was the kids from Franklin Park, where a new boxing program has been opened.  The kids there are mostly made up of the North Lawndale Boxing League which is run by Derek.  Both of the fighters from there swung at their opponents wildly but won their fights.


Johnny, who is the coach at Humboldt Park, told me, "I have someone at my gym who used to be at your gym!"  Anayiah is now training over there.  Another result of the construction and maintenance issues going on at La Follette, I assumed.  By the time Sahia returns to volunteer at the gym, there might not be anyone showing up at all.  And there's still several weeks to go before the fall session officially ends.


No comments: