Saturday, April 07, 2018

My Suspicion Continues

I just happened to be up at the front desk counter when Malik popped in.  "Just the person I wanted to see.  What is your mother's name?" I asked.  He told me, and then I said, "Why is her name listed as being registered for the teen boxing class?  She wasn't happy when she learned that."  "Uh, my grandfather probably entered her name in by mistake," Malik said.
I ain't buying it.  Last session, Malik's grandfather's name was listed as a registrant in the teen class.  Figuring that it was an honest mistake, I allowed Malik into the class.  I have doubts that his grandfather would have a second mistake in that manner.  Malik told me, "I'll be in the class this time."  "You're not in the class.  Your mother is registered in the class.  Until your name appears on the attendance sheets, Malik, you are not in the class.  Your grandfather has to come in and re-do the registration," I responded.  Malik mumbled, "Okay" and scurried away.  Something about that situation still smells.
Acting on a suggestion from Sahia I presented a contest to the kids 12-years-old and under.  The boy and girl who has the highest attendance for the session will get prizes.  The boy will get a jump rope and the girl will get hand wraps.  I heard mumblings from the kids who don't show up every day.  There were a few who should have shown up today, but they were absent with no explanation.  So far, Jamarion is the leader when it comes to attendance.

Noel saved me from a little frustration when I asked him to show Yamira and Damaris how to jump rope.  It is rare that I come across girls who don't know how to do that.  Yamira was jumping too high in the air.  Damaris was circling her arms to turn the rope instead of her wrist, and she wasn't turning the rope fast enough.  "It's not rocket science," I finally grumbled before asking Noel to help out.  The girls still weren't listening much to Noel nor watching him as he showed them the proper technique.  Yamira kept complaining about everything and being happy when the rounds were over.  Damaris kept whining about what she couldn't do.  I kept grumbling at them, ending with, "Now I'm sounding like my mother talking to you two."
Davonte (using Dexter as his nickname) showed up for the teen class a little too early, but it was cool. He seems eager to learn.  Noel and Mikaela helped him learn the punches.
It had been a good week, with the kids and teen classes having the most action.  I would like to see that pace continue for the entire 10 weeks.  

No comments: