Friday, April 06, 2018

Signs and Possible Forgery

I made courtesy calls to a few teens who still haven't shown up for the spring session.  However, one of the people I called was not a teen.  "You're asking to speak to my parents?  Really?  Are you serious?" they told me.  Turns out it was the 30-year-old mom of Malik.  She had a major attitude, and I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on.  It appears that Malik may have attempted to sign himself up for the boxing class.  But he put his mother's name in the spot where his name should have been.
If attempted forgery was the case here -- and I hope for Malik's sake it was not -- then he and I are going to an even more unpleasant conversation than the one I had with his mother.  I'm always telling youths that they can't put their John Hancock on nothing unless they are 18 years old.  Their parents and/or guardians have to give permission for them to do any activity at the park district.  Technically, Malik is still not registered for the class.

Having been long tired of the summer camp kids trashing my gym as well as Tina and the seasonal summer camp staff not doing anything to prevent it, I made some new signs.  The signs clearly state what the summer camp kids and seasonal summer camp staff are NOT to do in the gym.  The signs have gone up now so people can read and act accordingly before summer gets here.  Touching the equipment, climbing into the boxing ring, eating and drinking on the boxing ring, tampering with bulletin boards and signs, not cleaning up after themselves -- all are forbidden to do.  I ended the sign with "Have a problem with these rules?  See me."  I don't allow my fighters to disrespect and disrupt the spaces and classes/activities in the building that staff members run.  However, the same respect is not given to me. 

No comments: