Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Tommy Lee Jones' Famous Line

The class for those 12-years-old and under was busy again today.  I'm curious to see how long the pace will keep up.  It's the second week of class.  After this week, people in all of the classes usually start to disappear.  But maybe with the kids that won't happen.  Sahia, Mikaela, and Noel have been working very good with the kids.  The kids appear to like and respect them.
Dexter, who is signed up for the teen class, was a no-show yesterday.  Today, he came strolling in an hour late, brushing his hair like there was no hurry.  His friend, who I think is named Jamil, was with him.  When I pointed out Dexter's tardiness, he came back with, "But I was in a fight!"  I felt like Tommy Lee Jones' character in the movie The Fugitive when he cornered Harrison Ford's character who declared he was innocent of a crime.  "I don't care!' I thought.  I didn't even ask about the fight if indeed one had taken place.  I told Dexter when the teen class begins and that he could not train during the adult class.  Jamil, who claimed he wanted to register for boxing, just stood there and said nothing. I suspected that neither Dexter or his friend was serious about boxing, and it appears that I was right.
I finally went into the system and withdrew Malik's mother's name out of the teen class.  No word from him yet as to whether or not his grandfather will register him for the class again.  That class is slowly filling up.  Perhaps by the time Malik gets it together the class will be full and he'll have to wait until the summer session to join the class again.

Only Darrin and Jada were in the adult class.  Trish had to work, and Ariel may have had a change in his work schedule as well.  Sahia and Rachey couldn't stay for the class because of a previous engagement.  Darrin's punches were looking very solid, and his form was nice.  Jada, like so many of the girls and women who are and have been in the class, has to work on being a little more aggressive when it comes to punching.
I haven't received any more mouthpieces -- or any other equipment, for that matter.  I may not have enough mouthpieces to go around on Friday.  Some kids may have to purchase theirs which means they won't be able to spar that day.  Despite the fact that I've informed people that the number of free mouthpieces may be limited at times, to hardly have any makes me and the program look bad.

No comments: