Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Jumping In and Whippings


The gym is finally being painted, so the kids and I can't be in there for a few days.  One of the staff members told me that sometimes, painters will let people hang for a month before they finish their job.  I certainly hope that's not the case where the boxing class is concerned.  The kids associated with a community organization returned to class after disappearing most of last week.  The combination of them and the kids who've been there awhile wasn't such a good mix in the boys' basketball gym.  The same incidents of playing around went on.  Tough kept getting on my nerves complaining about some of the boys hitting her.  I finally told her that if she would worry about what she is supposed to be doing, that wouldn't happen.  She didn't like my answer, but I didn't care.  I'm tired of being distracted by the kids' nonsense arguments.  It's counterproductive to anyone learning anything in the gym.  Tough always wants to play victim, but she often starts problems and then continues them.

I opted not to bring up any of the boxing equipment because I don't want any of it to come up missing.  When I was at Loyola Park, the stuff that was easier to smuggle out, like gloves, headgear, and hand wraps would disappear often.  I've already been told there is a problem of many "sticky fingers" at LaFollette Park.  Until the boxing gym is painted, that time can be used for conditioning and shadow boxing.  Conditioning is sorely needed.  Just about none of the kids do any floor exercises until I get on them to do it.

One kid wants to exchange places with a kid who is in another activity.  They have decided that boxing is not for them.  Fine, but they have to get permission from their parents to do the switch.  I can't just go into the computer system to withdraw and add kids.

For some reason, some of the kids brought up the subject of spankings, or whippings, as we usually referred to discipline in the 'hood.  One of the boys assumed that I was never spanked at all.  "Oh, please!  I can tell many stories about when I took a whipping and why!" I told the kids.  All of the kids seemed surprised.  I got the feeling they thought "old folks" never got punished for things when we were kids.

Another boy said, "If someone is taking a beating in the ring, will you jump in the fight?"  I had to explain that is yet another move that can't be done in boxing.  A few of the kids paid attention when I told them once they get in the ring, I can't fight their fight.  That's why they need to train and pay attention to me in the gym.  In the ring, they are on their own.


No comments: