Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Paint and Dodge Ball


Another day of having to be moved to different room because of the boxing gym being painted.  I don't know how much more I can take of this.  A peek in the gym showed that little to nothing had been done.  I'm beginning to run out of ideas to keep the kids busy, as I don't dare bring equipment upstairs that can end up walking.

This time, we were in the auditorium.  The kids' interest in yet another round of new exercises I introduced quickly disappeared.  T1 stayed in the basketball gym, not bothering to show up.  Lu wasn't there, either.  Marine and Angel resumed their usual flirtation with each other.  Tough, Talky, Curly and Little J started playing up on the stage.  The kids associated with the community organization didn't come to class, even though I told their leader what time and days the gym is open.  There were several balls located behind the curtain.  I picked the softest ones and called for a game of dodge ball.

I haven't played dodge ball since. . .I don't know, 1972 or 1973?  It's been a long time.  Many schools have banned the game on the silly premise that it's too aggressive and demeaning and whatever other excuses the political correct police created.  That game can still be done.  Just use Nerf-like balls like we did.  It was a lot of fun, but not much of a substitute for boxing training.  Summer seems to be a long way off, but not really.  The boxing shows will be taking place soon, and training time is being lost.


No comments: