Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Four Degrees In Chicago


I was watching Rocky II (1979) last night.  I saw Rocky (1976) and Rocky III (1982) some time ago, but I had never seen the film in-between.  I knew how the film would end, but I cheered during the final fight between Rocky Balboa and Apollo Creed as if I was watching a real boxing match.

Alan was up at Brooks Park for their boxing show, so I went down to Loyola Park to open up the gym.  It was bone cold outside, so I was walking as fast as I could to generate some heat.  My left knee is jacked up -- again -- so I couldn't move as fast as I could have liked.  Yesterday morning, I did a kettlebell workout which involved doing some squats. I hadn't done that workout in months. I guess my knees didn't care for that much.  As usual, I spied Igor walking a block ahead of me on the way to the field house.

Neither Jilberto or Mary was at the field house, so I had to search for other staff members to get the gym open.  Igor was lurking about in the hallway, and it sounded as if any and everybody who looked like they might have been a Chicago Park District employee was being pestered by him about whether the gym would be open or not.  I said nothing to Igor because I didn't feel like being irritated.  Instead, I concentrated on finding a staff member who may have had a key.  After several minutes of searching, the one staff member whom was thought to have a key didn't.  "That's okay.  I don't want to get anyone in trouble," I said.  As far as the staff is concerned, the Fall session is over and the classes are done.  But I always have to explain that the sport of boxing doesn't operate on seasons, and people train in the gym even during the session breaks.

So I started back home in the below zero temperature.  I was halfway down the block on the other side of the street when I noticed Igor walking on the other side of the street.  I guess Igor figured out the gym wasn't going to open on his own.  Forgive me Jesus for being mean.

I used a little more of the money I received for a birthday gift to get some more Chinese food.  This time, I actually stopped in the place instead of asking them to deliver it.  Tomorrow, I'll have to do a workout to make up for not having one at the gym.  It probably won't be the kettlebell workout.  That might have been too much, too soon.  I'll do something more gentle like one of Leslie Sansone's in-home walking DVDs.






No comments: