Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Keyed Up

Reygie losing his contact while sparring with Andre

DJ and Jacob

Alan on the heavy bag
 

Reygie on the heavy bag as Andre watches
 
It should have been a good day. President Obama was sworn in for a second term, and it was Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. I was poised to get to work early. But then I noticed both my house keys and work keys were missing, along with kubutan key chain to which they were attached. I turned the house upside down, but I never found them. The day went downhill from there.

I can use a key card to get in and out of the building and my apartment. There was an extra set of keys at work I could use. But a bike lock key was also among the keys I lost -- and my bike is locked to a rack in the building's bike room. If I don't find the duplicate key I have before summer, I'll have to get someone to cut the lock off. Those bike locks aren't cheap, so that's probably some money I'll have to dole out.

Then I was all set to work some drills with Kenny -- he came in the gym with Colonel on Monday -- when a former neighbor of mine, Michael, suddenly showed up. Michael informed me that another former neighbor, who has the same first name, died recently. Drugs were the culprit.

So much for the workout. My mind wasn't totally focused on it to begin with due to the situation about the lost keys. This was very apparent when I sparred with Kenny for a round and a half. Kenny kept saying, "I'm out of shape," but he couldn't prove that by me. I was chasing him around the ring, hoping to tire him out, but Kenny's still as quick as he usually is.

DJ and Jacob returned to the gym, and it was nice to see them again. Jacob said he hadn't been working out in awhile and it was time to get back in shape.

Colonel brought his iPod player in again. "Try Me" a 1950's hit for James Brown came on. Reygie was on the speed bag. "This song makes me want to take off my panties," he laughed. The things the guys say in that gym! Good thing I don't print everything they say, or this blog would be dangerously close to an X-rating.

Reygie later sparred with Andre. Once again, one of his contacts came out. He had it on his finger, and was about to put it back in when it dropped onto the canvas. Alan and I searched but we couldn't find it. "Forget it," Reygie said. "Man, you shouldn't wear contacts in the ring," Kenny told him. "But I can't see well without them," Reygie replied. "Neither can I. But you get used to it!" Kenny said.




Posted by Picasa

No comments: