Monday, April 18, 2011

Cinderella Knees

Alan was out again, this time due to Passover, so I opened the gym.  It was a fairly decent crowd, but it was so quiet.  Hector said, "It's not the same when the coach isn't here.  I used to him going around asking people if they want to spar."  It was very quiet, even with the radio on.

B.K. didn't have the key for the main boxing gym door, so he let us in via the door that's in the basketball gym.  At one point, we heard someone knocking on the main door to get in.  It was after 8:00 PM by then, so I assumed it was Josh.  But then I remembered that Josh is a rabbi; he didn't come in tonight, either.  It was Professor, who admitted he had overslept.

Sarah had her sister Amy hold pads for her.  Sarah was really pushing with force when she threw her hooks, but her form wasn't quite there.  I showed her how to turn when executing the punches so her full body weight would be behind them, not just her arm.

I was working the heavy bag for most of the evening.  In the middle of a round, I noticed my knees didn't hurt.  Because of arthritis and that hit I took from a car a few months ago, my knees usually hurt most of the time.  It's amazing how one gets used to chronic pain to an extent.  What surprised me tonight was that I didn't feel any pain at all as I moved around. It was as if I was 21 years old again, without all of the medical conditions.  But as soon as 9:00 PM rolled around, my knees went right back to their usual condition.

No comments: