Thursday, April 14, 2011

My Mitts Get Around

Usually, when the coach is absent, and everyone knew in advance that the coach was going to be out, the attendance in the gym is low that evening.  Not so Wednesday night, when it was just about a full house.  Alan had to go to a business meeting, so I opened the gym.  A Chicago policeman stopped in for a few moments and looked around in amazement.  "Are these folks in the Golden Gloves?" he asked.  "We had a few, but none went on to the finals," I explained to the officer.

My punch mitts got a workout.  Matthieu and Erica used them in the ring for awhile.  Then Josh showed up about 15 to 20 minutes after eight o'clock, asking me to hold the mitts for him.  I think that was the biggest amount of exercise Josh did that night.  He was gone before 9:00 PM rolled around.  



Neither Amir, Kenny, Hector, Eric or Leon came in, but Professor stopped in for a minute.  Colonel had borrowed a jump rope from Professor and had given it me for safe keeping.  Professor came in not long after to pick it up.  Marcus signed up for the gym that evening and put in a workout.  Greg, Robert, Bart, Ray, Sarah, and Amy made up the rest of the crowd. 



I arrived at the gym with a headache that started not too long after I got home.  I stopped over at Margaret and Glynn's house to feed their cat Esther, since the couple was out on a day trip.  When I got home, I took a fitful nap.  Since I wasn't feeling too hot, I had a thought not to go to the gym, but I had promised Alan I would open it up.   Once I started my workout, I felt a lot better. 

No comments: