Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Feeling Old On Monday

Colonel was complaining about his hip.  It'll have to be replaced eventually, and he's not looking forward to it.  He told me about the long recovery he endured when he had the last one replaced.  I believed him.  Yet, he's a tough guy.  I heard him tell Alan "push me, even if I complain about the hip". 

I certainly felt like an old woman today.  I've been feeling like that most days for the past few weeks.  I've been fine in the morning, but dragging by the time afternoon rolls around.  I usually walk home from my job at church.  Halfway to the house, I'm plodding along as if I'm walking in mud.  Once I get home, I'm ready to go to sleep, and I often have a hard time keeping my eyes open.  If I do take a nap, I'm up most of the night.  Today in the mail was an advertisement for a book to help women who are going through perimenopause like myself.  It talked about fatigue, insomnia, and stubborn pounds not wanting to go.  "Hmm. . .sounds just like what I've been experiencing," I thought to myself.  The other night, I woke up to find my T-shirt was drenched in sweat.  Neither the radiators nor the space heater was on, and I was sleeping under a heat blanket that was not turned on.  I concluded that I had experienced night sweats.  It might be time to look harder into some herbal remedies to soothe some of the change-of-life symptoms.

Alan asked me if I wanted to spar, and I told him, "On Wednesday."  He sparred with Eric, who hit him pretty hard several times.  Leon came in and sparred with Professor, and Oscar sparred with the Colonel.  As I watched them, I kept wondering if my left knee will hold up when I get into the ring later this week.  It felt fine as I did stretches today, but I wasn't too sure.  The right knee took somewhat of a hit also back in January when I nearly ended up under the wheels of a car.  Both knees may fail me at the wrong moment in the ring.  I overheard Colonel talking about the arthritis in his knees.  I could sympathize with that, as I moved slower than usual around the heavy bag. 

No comments: