Monday, March 07, 2011

Park District Cost Cutting

The gym wasn't open tonight.  The Chicago Park District decided to close their facilities today in an effort to cut costs.  Just so happens that today is also Casmir Pulaski Day, a holiday that is celebrated only in Chicago, I believe.  I was grumbling about the closure when I read it in the Red Line paper last week, thinking that it would put a dent in training time for the Golden Gloves.  But now that all the guys have lost their matches, it doesn't matter, at least not for that tournament anyway.

Kenny told me something the other day that I hadn't thought of before.  I told him I have diabetes, and it was recommended that I eat four to six small meals a day to keep the blood sugar even.  "That must it make it hard to cut weight for fights," Kenny said.  That's true, depending on what I eat, and unfortunately, I slip up from time to time and get food I shouldn't have.  Basically, I wouldn't wish diabetes on anyone.  Who wants to be told they can't eat this and that, especially sweets like they used to do? 

I've been thinking about working out in the church gym again, since I have a possible rematch with Andria coming up later this year.  My school schedule will be lighter this upcoming session, so I might be able to fit some extra exercise time in.  I need to do that anyway.  Ever since my knee was injured back in January, I've felt the pounds sneaking up on me. 

Found what I thought was a major steal on a used kettlebell the other day.  There's a shop called Play It Again Sports that sells mostly used sporting goods.  My main purpose was to buy a baseball bat to keep in my office at church.  Summer is coming, the gangs in the neighborhood have already started acting up, and there are times when I'm in the church alone.  'Nuff said. Pastor Roger shook his head when he heard about the baseball bat, as he also does whenever I tell stories where I advocate practicing self-defense.

In the shop, I saw a kettlebell with a price of $1.67.  "Alright!" I thought to myself.  Actually, it was $1.67 a pound, and the kettlebell was 25 pounds.  I have a few of those at home, but none above ten pounds.  I'd like to have heavier ones and do more kettlebell workouts to build muscle (especially to strengthen my bad knees) and to burn fat.

No comments: