Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Sunday At The Gym

Alan opened up the gym this afternoon particularly for the guys who will be competing in the Golden Gloves this week.  Kenny, Oscar, and Reggie, who are all signed up to compete, were there; Jacob and I came in just for the workout.  All of the guys, including Alan, sparred with each other.  My left knee continues to keep me on the sidelines. 

A few kids came strolling in asking where Barry was.  "He's not here on Sunday," I told them, and I repeated the answer -- a bit more sternly -- when they asked the question again.  I had been at church earlier today where one kid felt the need to go running around the pews during service, and most of the rest were unnecessarily loud during the fellowship hour.  The last thing I wanted to deal with was more kids acting out.  One of the kids claimed he had a fight coming up.  Alan told them they could hang around to watch, but they couldn't work out.  Disinterested, they left, but not before one little boy gave me a hard stare down.  "Whatever," I thought, "they need to go home and do some homework or something."

Reggie said that it would be announced on the Chicago Golden Gloves web site tomorrow who will have matches this week.  That's a welcome change from getting all the way down there on the first night, only to learn that some people will not have a match, and being unsure as to when they will fight. 

No comments: