Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Those In The Gloves

Fernando, a trainer, came in with one of his fighters, Reggie, to get some sparring in for his guy.  Reggie is strong with muscular arms.  He signed up to compete in the Golden Gloves.  Reggie sparred with Kenny.  In the photo below, Alan watches as they mix it up in the ring.


The other guys who signed up for the Gloves are Kenny, Oscar, Professor and Danny (Kenny's friend).  Alan is planning to open up the gym on Sunday afternoon so they all can get extra practice.  That used to happen when Steve was the coach, and it was close to the Gloves.  Alan has to clear it with Mary.  Below, Professor (in the blue headgear, leaning on the ropes) watches Kenny and Reggie spar.


So many looky-loos were hanging around in the gym today.  I got that "looky-loo" term from an ad for a home business opportunity I saw years ago.  It basically means a person who goes window shopping with no intention to buy.  There were four of them hanging around.  I had to tell one of them to stop hitting the heavy bags; he had no gloves or handwraps on, and on top of that, the form displayed wasn't so hot.  "You can break your hand, son," I said.  Another one was on the second heavy bag in the ring, and as soon as the bell rang to end the round, I walked up and stopped the bag from swinging.  When the bell rang again, I practiced on it, effectively keeping him off of it.  I overheard one of the looky-loos say, "Hey man, I bet she could kick our asses." 

Alan told me that Josh came in last Wednesday, but Jordan hasn't been in for awhile.  I had noticed that everytime Oscar was sparring with someone, Jordan was watching him with interest.  Then I'd hear Jordan ask Alan if he could spar.  I'm assuming that Jordan wanted to mix it up with Oscar.  I could have told him, based on the times I sparred with Oscar, is that Oscar is not an easy target.  In the next photo, Oscar spars with Kenny.



I was afraid to get on the scale in the gym.  I haven't been on the one at home in awhile, thinking that, due to not being able to work out much, I was going to be unpleasantly surprised.  Well, I was a little.  The needle hasn't moved up much, but it didn't move down much, either.

Alan asked if I was going to spar.  "Eh, my knee still needs more time to heal.  You know I'm such a delicate flower," I said jokingly.  "A rose among thorns," Alan grinned.

No comments: