Monday, February 28, 2011

Preparing For Thursday and Friday

Frank came in and asked, "Where is everybody?" Danny 2 (Kenny's friend) was stuck at work, and Professor wasn't there, either.  Oscar, Kenny, Colonel, and Danny 1 were there.  Sparring took place, but Alan didn't want the guys to do too much of it.  It's too close to the Gloves, and it wouldn't do for anyone to get hurt before their matches.  Earlier at work, I printed out a copy of the Gloves' schedule for Alan, and I brought that in. Kenny and Danny will have matches on Thursday, and Oscar is scheduled to fight this Friday.

My left knee keeps frustrating me.  One day it feels fine, then the next day, I'm back to limping again.  On other days both the left and right knee want to fight with me.  I can run down the steps of the 'L station, then a few hours later, have a hard time climbing up the steps to my apartment.  I was practically tip toeing to work this morning because of all of the ice on the ground.  "I won't have to worry about diabetes killing me off," I grumbled to myself.  "It'll probably be due to a slip on the ice, which I'll think is nothing, but it'll never heal, and then I'll die." I worry that when I do resume sparring sometime in March, the left knee will not support me like it once did.  Like Kenny told me some time ago, when an injury happens to a joint like that, most times it is never the same like it was. 

I keep assuming things about Pastor Roger that aren't true.  "Why do you think I disapprove of you boxing?  I never said that," he said recently.  "Well, you've said some things that make it appear that you don't think women should participate in certain things," I said.  We were talking about the girl in Iowa who won a wrestling championship.  Pastor understood that some boys might have been reluctant to wrestle her because they did not want to touch her inappropriately.  "I don't have a problem with you boxing because you're a woman.  I have a problem with the fact that you're boxing and you're not twenty years old anymore," he grinned.  I had to laugh.  "That's a nice way to put it," I said. 

No comments: