Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Maybe I'll Be The Bionic Woman

After church this past Sunday, I was on my way to Dominicks when I was hit by a car.  The driver, who was extremely upset and mortified, checked to see if I was alive, as well as a couple of bikers who witnessed the accident.  I was bruised up on my left side.  The main damage was to my left knee, which had gone out a few days ago in the gym.  Now it's badly sprained.

That didn't stop me from a) grocery shopping that day, b) making crock pot chili that night, c) going to work the following day, and d) going to the gym last night.  Alan called me before I left the house to say he was going to be late.  I told him about the accident.  "Maybe you shouldn't come in tonight," he said, but being my usual hard-headed self, I hobbled down there on a cane.  Pastor Roger had his comments earlier as well. He saw me limping at church earlier on Sunday and cracked, "I thought it was boxing, not kickboxing".  The next day he said, "Hillari, what's going to happen when you're 60 years old?  You're almost 50 and on a cane now."  "I keep telling you that I'm a tough built woman," I replied.  After all, I was at work the day after being pummeled by moving tons of steel and knocked a foot back onto the concrete. 

Alan shook his head as I limped around the gym all evening.  "Stop it.  You can hardly walk.  What are you going to do?" he said.  "I can hit the equipment," I said, and I did, being very careful not to turn my left knee much.  I kept remembering that line from the opening credits of the TV series "The Six Million Dollar Man".  "We can rebuild him", Oscar, his contact person at the agency said.  If I keep on getting injured, doctors may have to make that statement regarding me.  But I'll be like Jamie Summers, "The Bionic Woman", instead.   Walking with a cane is no kinds of fun.  It takes double and triple time to get anything done and to get anywhere.  I'm wearing a knee supporter today; it helps somewhat. 

A rare thing happened last night: Danny sparred.  I think that was only the second time I've seen him do that.  Danny is very content to just do the workout, but Leon talked him into moving around in the ring.  Leon also sparred with Jamil and Jacob.  Alan kept urging Jamil not to back up into the corners.  He also told him to grab Leon's arms to slow down the bigger man's flurry of punches.  "That the same thing I keep yelling at you whenever you're in the ring," Alan smiled at me. 

There won't be any sparring for me for a long time.  I can also forget about that fight that was tentatively scheduled for this month.  Alan had just called Bill to see if there was an opponent ready, but my knee will take at least a couple of months to feel halfway decent.  I base that on when I sprained my right knee twice in 2005; it took a long time to get right. 

No comments: