Thursday, June 04, 2009

Watchin' For Maggie

Maggie didn't come into the gym last night. Now I'm beginning to worry that I indeed scared her off.

I sparred with Katie, and I was very winded and somewhat dizzy after two rounds. "I can never get you into the corners!" she smiled. I don't think anyone has ever caught me in the corners in the ring. As short as I am, it would be too easy to just beat me down once they got me hemmed in.

Alan pointed out again that I seem to hold back on punching. "I go easy on the women because so many of them have never been in a fight of any kind. But I go harder on the guys, figuring they can take it," I told him. "Then I'll put you in with the guys more often. You and Oscar seem to be a good match," Alan replied. Oscar is not that much taller than I. He has a bad habit of not protecting his face, and I'm already feeling guilty about taking advantage of that. But Oscar has to learn to cover up, or else he might find himself laying on the canvas. As for Katie, Alan told me, "You have to get inside. You have to take a punch to give a punch", which is true.

The Chicago Park District tournaments will be written down in my day planner so I can keep track of them. They're starting late this year, beginning in July, and ending in early February of 2010. I'm going to try and get my pastor to come out to at least one. For the past several years, I've invited him to the boxing shows at Loyola Park, but he hasn't gone to one yet. Maybe his wife, Viriginia, will want to go too, and she'll encourage him to check it out. Loyola's show is not until September.

No comments: