Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Where Are All The Women?

Raymond, who started off training with Barry and Yale, came in last night. He didn't much feel like sparring, but he did move around in the ring a little with Michael. Michael has a very, very deep voice. He said something like, "It's cool?" to Raymond. Raymond thought he said something about school. "Man, I've had this deep voice since I was 15 years old. I'm used to people sometimes not understanding what I've said," Michael laughed.

"Where are all the women tonight?" Alan asked me. "Maybe I scared them off," I joked, but I certainly hope that's not the case. I noted to myself that Maggie hasn't been back in since I knocked her out.

I haven't been down at the gym during when the kids are there in some time. There was one girl in Barry's class, but the last time I was there on a Tuesday or Thursday, I didn't see her. I wonder if she has dropped out. So few females stick with boxing. I wish more would. I also wish a lot of them would start younger. That's an advantage most male boxers have. I've known of both amateur and professional male boxers who started training while they were toddlers. Most females are in their mid-teens when they begin, if they start young. Other females are in their twenties and older when they take up the sport. If one plans to go pro, the younger the training starts, and the earlier one can get matches, the better.

Alan asked me if I would be interested in getting a match. "You know I can't box in a sanctioned match," I told him. He said there is a possibility of me getting a unsanctioned one. The boxing matches that take place during the Chicago Park District boxing tournaments are not sanctioned, as those are not recorded in the license books of the fighters involved. I don't think some white collar boxing matches are either, as there are no winners. People are rewarded more on the fact that they actually agreed to get into the ring. "I'd be interested," I told him. If I could get one knockout, maybe I could get another one.

No comments: