Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Hit Her!

I learned last night that one can't throw an uppercut when your opponent is bent over. But I did catch Oscar a few times while we were sparring. He's got to learn to keep his hands up. It was too easy to catch him full in the face with jabs and crosses.

Alan noticed something that I also did, that Oscar was not hitting very hard. Before Oscar and I got into the ring, Alan told me that I could hit Oscar harder than I normally when I'm in with one of the women. "You can hit her, Oscar. I don't mean whale on her, but you can hit her," Alan told him during round one. Oscar still didn't put much force behind his punches. "Come on, Oscar! Really hit her! You can do that!" Alan admonished him. I nodded my head in agreement. He put a little more pepper on his punches, but not much. I ended up stunning him a few times with some jabs and rights.

While it's nice to know that a lot of males are still being raised not to hit women, guys have to throw that training out while they are sparring with a female. It doesn't matter if they are in the boxing gym or in the martial arts dojo. An opponent is an opponent is an opponent.

No comments: