Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Oscar's Hands

None of the women showed up to the gym last night. "Either you or the rain scared them away," Alan grinned. "I'd like to think it was the rain," I laughed.

I sparred with Oscar (not the former Golden Gloves winner who came in the other day). Oscar was the guy who sparred with Sadiq that day that Alan was away from the gym. I overheard Alan tell Oscar, "Go easy." I wanted to say, "No, tell him to hit as if he were in an actual match." Then I remembered that Sadiq had bloodied up Oscar, mainly because the latter didn't keep his hands up. Oscar dropped his hands the same way during our sparring session. Normally, I go hard on the guys and light on the women, but I didn't want to bloody Oscar up unnecessarily. I did tap him a few times about the face and head to remind him that he needs to protect himself.

Oscar kept leaning to one side during the second round. I wanted to throw uppercuts, but couldn't figure out how to get them in. I seldom get a chance to throw those types of punches. That's usually because the persons I'm sparring with are so tall. I always think it would be wasted effort for me to reach up that far.

Willie, who I hadn't seen either at church or the gym in awhile, came in to get a workout in. He told me his grandchildren live on the west side. Willie was interested in getting the boys signed up for the park district boxing tournament that's held every summer at Garfield Park.

Leon observed Willie on the heavy bags. "I want to spar with the old heavyweight. I hear him wheezing as he hits the bags," Leon said. Willie begged off, stating that he hadn't been in the gym in awhile and was a little rusty. Leon kept pushing the issue until Alan asked him to stop bugging Willie. I was thinking that Leon maybe should rethink asking Willie to spar. I still remember when Willie and Terrell mixed it up. I was afraid that Terrell was going to get knocked clean out.

No comments: