Thursday, April 23, 2009

Having (Somewhat Of) A Glass Jaw

Melinda and I sparred last night. For a moment, I dropped my hands, and she came in with a right hook. I was stunned, and I stopped for a second to shake and clear my head. "Are you okay?" Melinda asked, alarmed. After assuring her I was okay, we continued on. Later, I told her, "I've been hit harder than that. But that's what I get for dropping my hands." If Melinda had put a little more power on that hook, I would have been laid out on the canvas.

Heather and Katie sparred twice, taking a break between the two times. Heather was tentative the first time, but the second time, she caught Katie with a jab to the face. That wasn't easy, seeing how Katie is taller than Heather (and taller than Melinda and I), and she has long arms. Heather had to reach to get that punch in, but she got it.

When Alan was asking if any of the women wanted to spar earlier in the evening, I immediately piped up. The other three women in the gym didn't respond right away. "Somebody other than Hillari," Alan smiled.

No comments: