Thursday, December 11, 2008

First Cut

I've developed a habit of taking naps during the afternoon. I was sleeping so much that I was late to the gym on Wednesday. When I walked in, I was pleasantly surprised to see MoMo. He came in because Hamlin Park's gym was closed that evening. Bill, the coach there, had gone to Brooks Park, where there was a boxing show taking place. I remain amazed at all the weight he's lost. He sparred with Matthew, and he looked good in the ring.

I ended up sparring again with Matthew, too. I managed to keep the mouthpiece in without choking on it, which was a plus. Matthew and I were going light, but I was popped a little hard in the mouth. I felt something wet on my lower lip. Allen stopped us for a minute because the headgear I had on was slipping. I keep forgetting to bring my own headgear in. He fixed the headgear and gave me some water. "You have some blood on you," he announced.

During the nearly seven years I've been going to Loyola Park's boxing gym, that was the first time anyone had hit me and drawn blood. It wasn't much blood, and it stopped quickly. Matthew apologized, but I waved him off. "It's okay. Things happen," I told him.

Old Jim gave me a DVD of counter punching drills. He's really interested in learning defensive moves. I need to acquire those skills, too. Many of Matthew's punches were landing on me because my hands weren't up, and I wasn't moving enough. I was popped in the eye at one point, as well.

MoMo gave me a ride, and we stopped by his house for a moment. He went inside and came back out with a lamb dish that his mother had made. I told him I hadn't had Pakistani food before, so he hooked me up with some. "It's spicy," he said, when he got back into the car. "I like spicy food," I told him. It looks good. I'll have to make some rice to go along with it.

No comments: