Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Birthday Sparring

Yesterday was my birthday, and I didn't plan anything, other than going to work and going to the gym. Mary asked me about volunteering for a Park District event for kids that will take place downtown. I'll have to check my schedule, but I think I can fit it in.

I sparred with Matthew last night, and we went light. Once again, I wasn't wearing a mouthpiece. There's no getting around it -- I will have to learn how to wear it again without choking. My plan is to wear it for so many minutes a day so I can get used to it again.

Found out that Old Jim is not interested in competing, but wants to get "a couple of fights". I don't know about that. It's hard for boxers over 35 to get licenses, whether for amateur or professional bouts. I've always believed that the USA Amateur Boxing Association added the Masters' Division partially to quash any age-discrimination lawsuits from older people who want to box. But, unfortunately, health problems that seem to appear with the onset of middle age will knock some boxers out of getting or keeping a Masters' license anyway. That's what happened to me, and Old Jim hinted at some medical issues he has.

No comments: