Friday, July 25, 2008

Granddad's Punches

Haven't posted here in awhile, and I apologize to the regular readers about that. Nothing much going on with the Loyola Park Boxing gym, as the adult boxing program is still closed. I did receive a letter from the Chicago Park District stating that I made the list of qualified candidates for Steve's old job. That does not guarantee that I will be interviewed, however.

I often wonder where my maternal grandfather trained when he was a boxer. My mother told me that he regularly trained at a boxing gym located somewhere on Chicago's west side. I have no idea what gym that would have been.

He was planning to be a professional boxer. Then he met my grandmother. After they decided to get married, Granddad hung up his gloves. He didn't believe that being a boxer would pay him enough money to support a family. From what my late uncles told me, Granddad was a good fighter. He taught all of them how to box, and my uncles grew up appreciating the sport.

I've been thinking about doing some research to figure out what boxing gyms were popular in Chicago in the early part of last century.

No comments: