Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Right Out Of The Gate

Brian was there when I arrived at the gym. Foster came in not long afterwards, followed by JJ and his new coach, Gio, then Tommy and Ben. None of the other women came in.

JJ had a tape of the fight he lost at the National Golden Gloves. It was just as he said before. His opponent came tearing at him right out of the gate. JJ ended up getting two eight counts in the first round. We all groaned when the camera didn't catch all of the action. Barry taped the fight, but didn't always keep the lens focused on the action in the gym. We were treated to a nice shot of Steve's wife Ellen, who had Eli sitting on her lap. At her prompting, Eli waved to the camera.

JJ sparred a couple of round with Foster and with Brian, with Gio and I looking on. Brian hurt his thumb during the second round with JJ and couldn't continue with his workout that evening. I don't think any bone was broken, but his thumb was swollen. Brian said his girlfriend is a nurse, so he would check with her about his thumb tomorrow. I told him to ice it up this evening. JJ and Gio left not too long after the sparring sessions were over.

I was very tired and sluggish, but I perked up a bit when I got into the ring to shadow box. My new medical ID came in the other day; I now have a couple of necklaces, one of them being a backup in case I lose the first one. I remembered to wear my volunteer badge, too. Now that the gym is in-between coaches, I thought it would be a good idea to wear that ID.

No comments: