Saturday, May 17, 2008

Gym Showcase

Mary left a voice mail for me earlier in the afternoon. The person who was supposed the sing the National Anthem for the annual Gym Showcase couldn't make it in. She asked if I could perform the song. I called her back and assured her that I would.

Barry had two of the boys in the youth boxing program, Nate Jr. and Kenneth, do some exercise routines for their portion of the showcase. I hadn't seen Nate Jr. do his fancy jump rope techniques before; he was good. Kenneth is a new boxer, a long, lanky quiet kid. Like Nate Jr. he also demonstrated his technique on the punch mitts for the crowd.

"I'm glad you're here," Barry told me when we came back inside the gym after the performance. "Most people wouldn't want to train on a Friday night. It takes a special individual to come in here on a Friday." I like going to the gym. Besides, what else am I doing on Friday night? Ask most unattached middle-aged women -- unless she's a cougar chasing down young men in the clubs, the dating scene is pretty slow. If I had a boyfriend, he'd have to wait to see me after I came out of the gym, anyway. First things first.

Barry and the boys left after a light workout. Attendance among the adults was very light again this evening. Only Sadiq, Carla and Foster were there. "Why weren't many people here?" Sadiq asked after we were the last two in the gym. "It's nice outside, it's Friday night, there's the Gym Showcase going on, Steve's not here anymore," I answered. Robert took a little break from his work to look in on the gym, and he noted the small amount of people inside. I told him, "The numbers will pick up again when a new coach is hired."

Just as I suspected a couple of days ago, I have picked up weight again. Ten pounds of the 20 I lost have returned. Damn. . .I know it is because of what I've been eating, and the lack of doing extra exercise during the week. It's my fault. I was looking at the DLife web site and learned that actor Jerry Mathers ("Leave It To Beaver") was diagnosed with diabetes when he was 50. He controls it with diet and exercise. I keep thinking about the complications I could develop because I'm not as diligent in controlling my weight as I think I am. If Mathers could take weight off and get it together, than I can too. I have to do it.

No comments: