Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Pizza In The Gym




Mary and I were talking not long after I arrived at the fieldhouse. She wondered if Steve was going to come in tonight. She wanted to hold off on ordering pizza for the farewell get-together until he got there. He came in just as we were talking about him.

Steve cleaned out his locker, and found some notes that he had taken a few years ago on JJ and Mike. He gave both of them what he wrote. We got a good laugh out of those. Anarbo, from Brooks Park, was there, and Steve gave him some extra gauze that he found.




The gym was busy when the pizza arrived. I had Gilberto bring the food into the gym. He set the table up in the middle of the floor, and then it was moved towards the lockers to give people room to still work out. Gio, the trainer JJ is going to next, was there. Tommy, Carla, Ben, Jon, Foster and Brian were there, as was a friend of Arnarbo's (I hope I'm spelling his name right!). Even Sadiq and Mort (along with his girlfriend) came in.

I didn't touch any of the pop (no diet pop was ordered), but I ate more of the Giordano's pizza than I should have. It feels like the 20 pounds I lost are slowing creeping back up on me, judging by my thighs. Steve said he found a gym in Buffalo, NY where he could work out. "It'll be nice to get back in shape again. I figure I'd better do it because I'll be 40 years old in awhile, and it'll be harder to keep the weight down," he said. "Tell me about it. The weight just seems to stay on and never come off," I said. Many days, I feel like I inherited my late dad's blubbery physique. I used to be petite like my mom, but that was 21 years ago. I believe those days are gone. The best thing I can hope for is to be healthy.

Jon's thigh was better. It had been bothering him, and he had to ice it a lot. He asked me if my leg was better. My knees remain stiff, and my left foot is swollen again (I think that's a condition of hypertension), but I'm okay. Margaret, the choir director at my church, told me the cleaning I do at church in the mornings serves as a functional workout. Perhaps that's why I was so sore last week. I haven't been working out much outside of the gym because the temporary custodial job is a workout in and of itself, and it wears me out. But I have to get back to regular exercise, especially now that warmer weather is coming.




No comments: