Saturday, March 15, 2008

Retractions and Apologies

I attributed a quote to the wrong person in my last post. It was Mike, not Pete's buddy, who said during intervals, "The one girl in the gym is not complaining!" I had my head down, focusing on the bag, heard the two Petes (yes, Pete's buddy is Pete, too) razzing each other, and assumed the second Pete had made the comment.

Last night, Steve told the first Pete that I had made him out to be a whiner during that interval session. No insult was intended! So I apologize to both of the Petes as well as Mike for not being accurate.

Too bad I can't attend the show fight that is coming up this Wednesday. Margaret, the choir director, called for a rehearsal that night. The church is having a Maundy Thursday service during the time the choir usually practices. This upcoming Wednesday is the last rehearsal before Easter, and I can't skip it. I hope everybody who has a match does well.

Igor had told Steve he wanted to spar for ten rounds, but when Steve asked him to get in the ring with the other guys, Igor changed his mind. "One round," he said in his broken English. Steve gave up on him. "Forget it. If you don't spar now, you won't spar again," he told him.

JJ was wearing several tops in an attempt to lose a few pounds. I couldn't help but think about an incident with actor/comedian Martin Lawrence a few years ago. Lawrence went jogging -- in Los Angeles heat -- wearing a sweat suit along with several other clothes and fell out. Most of JJ's weight loss was probably going to be water weight, which would come back once he drank water. But then, like a lot of the guys in the gym, he's young and his metabolism hasn't started the inevitable slow down yet.

No comments: