Sunday, January 06, 2008

Going For It

I emailed Steve last Wednesday afternoon to say that I would like to apply for his job. I mentioned that I may be a long shot for it, depending on who else applies, but it's worth a try. He told me when I got to the gym, that he and I would have to talk to Mary, the fieldhouse supervisor about it, and I'd have get an application.

Les had me come out to the Englewood site two days in a row, both Thursday and Friday. It's a major pain to get there: two hours on three trains. Some of the staff people there pointed out that I always look irritated when I get there. Well, anybody would after such a long commute, and add the fact that I don't like going out there very often. He's out there for the duration, since there are no plans to replace the director who resigned back in November. A restructuring will take place to cover that position sometime soon. I'm hoping a restructuring doesn't mean me having to be out at Englewood on a permanent basis. If I get Steve's job, it would present a problem, as well as incoveniencing me in the other things I do outside of work. My time is valuable, and I can't spend most of it on long commutes every day.

On Friday, Terrell came in. It was the last time before he returned back to college. He told us he'll be back in late spring/early summer. Jordan was still making noises about sparring. I wondered how many times Steve will have to tell him to put in a decent workout. I overheard Terrell telling Jordan about doing three rounds at each station, too. Whether Jordan actually starts doing a full workout remains to be seen.

My right shoulder and right knee were bothering me. I volunteered at the annual roller skating party for the foster kids that the agency I work for deals with. That was on Thursday. The DJ put on "You Can Have Watergate" by the JB's, one of the many songs by the James Brown-fronted 1970's band that is played constantly at predominately African-American rinks. I skated wildly, took a corner too fast, and fell on my right side. I tried to fall correctly and be slick about it at the same time, but it didn't work. As usual, I only felt a sting and nothing else. Of course, I felt it the next day.

No comments: