Thursday, October 04, 2007

Quiet and Full

There were about seven new people in the gym last night, but yet, the gym was quiet. Most of the regulars did not appear. The radio was tuned to a sports channel and the Cubs game was on. I don't like baseball, so I wasn't paying attention to the scores. They lost anyway, I learned later, which was not surprising.

Candace came in later, and asked, "What's going on?" when she saw all the people in the ring with Steve. I forgot that Candace started three weeks late into the summer session, so she missed the group lessons that Steve always gives in the beginning. Her and I did some pad work. She wanted to work on blocking hooks.

Aren -- that is the correct spelling of the woman whom I was referring to as Erin, not to be confused with the actual Erin who hasn't been in the gym in awhile. I heard her giving big-time encouragement to an African-American woman who was another newcomer during a pad work exercise. I like Aren; I hope her enthusiasm for learning the sport keeps her coming to the gym.

Later in the evening, Steve asked me if he should continue to have the newcomers do pad work or do floor exercises. I suggested the floor exercises, and went into the ring to do them with the others. I was happy that the second time we had to do 20 leg lifts, I did them all without stopping between lifts. We also had to toss medicine balls to each other, which my sore left arm didn't like, but I got through it. Steve emailed me the name of the guy he saw when he was having trouble with his arm. I'm going in to see that person about my arm this evening.

Yale emailed me today about coming up to Hamlin on Saturday, so I'll call him later to confirm. He's going to introduce me to the female boxers up there, but if they are who I think they are, I have met them several times. It'll be nice to get a workout in, however.

No comments: