Sunday, March 11, 2007

Yes, License, But No Masters

There were so many people at JABB Gym for the Golden Gloves sign-up this past Saturday that applications ran low, and new license books ran out completely. I was able to renew my license for another year, but alas, no Masters Division fights were scheduled. A guy ahead of me in line renewed his boxing coach's license, and I got information about the next coaches' clinic. Unfortuntately, it takes place this upcoming Saturday, and I have one more Gospel Fest rehearsal to do.

A few guys from Fuller Park who were at the registration asked if Junior was going to be in the Gloves. They bragged on his skills; one of them said he wanted to fight Junior last year, but he didn't make it into the tournament.

There was a good crowd in the gym this past Friday, but no Keith. Steve wondered if Keith would be back in the gym before the tournament next week. "He might show up the first day of the Golden Gloves," Steve mused. Junior sparred with Tony, the MMA fighter who hadn't been around in awhile. It never fails; Junior always manages to bloody up someone's nose when he spars with them. I saw Steve holding a towel to Tony's nose between rounds. Muhammad wanted to spar with Craig, who didn't come in, so he had to go with Junior. Muhammad gassed out early on, but Steve wouldn't let him quit in the middle of the round. "You have to finish the round, even if you're tired!" Steve told him. That's true, but it is so hard to do.

We did intervals on the heavy bags at the end of the evening. I was amazed that I lasted all five three minute rounds with two knees acting up. I find energy at the oddest times, regardless of how my body may be feeling. While doing that exercise, I overheard Steve telling Mike how hard it is to find matches for me. "She even posted on a Masters' Division internet group one year, but no luck," Steve said. I didn't even bother to post there this year, since the last few times were fruitless. I see others on there looking for fights with little luck. I have an application for the Ringside Boxing Tournament, where they do have masters' bouts. Just have to save the money to get to Kansas City in August if I go ahead and apply.

No comments: