Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Possible Sudden Change Of Plans

I was in the gym this past Sunday, as Steve had it open. He plans to open it on Sundays for extra practice for the Golden Gloves tournament. I really, really appreciated getting the extra workout in, even though I have snowball's chance in getting a match at the Gloves.

Looks like I may have a hard time renewing my boxing license, too. It was my fault that I didn't think to get a note that I had taken a physical last month from my doctor. Couldn't renew it at Hamlin last night because of that. Now I have to show that I took a EKG, too. The last time I had one was December of 2005. Junior, Mike, Mort, Javonte and Keith breezed through getting new licences/renewing old ones and signing up for the tournament. I sat on the sidelines, ticked that I hadn't taken care of business beforehand. My doctor had no problem vouching that my high blood pressure was under control. It dawned on me that my doctor may not sign off on it this time since I'm now also pre-diabetic.

I hate that I missed the last coach's clinic. If I could have applied for a coach's license, then I could have avoided the medical requirements that USA Boxing forces on boxers over 35 years of age. Hey, Freddie Roach has Parkinson's and it doesn't stop him from producing champions. I could also work the corners, get into amateur tournaments and shows for free, plus get involved more with training. Without either a boxer's or a coach's license, I can't do any of those things.

I have an appointment to see my doctor late Thursday afternoon. Judging by mishaps I've experienced since the year began, I don't have a good feeling it's going to go well.

No comments: