Thursday, March 15, 2007

Where For Art Thou, Oh Fighters?

Both Keith and Mort were nowhere to be found in the gym last night. Last night marked exactly a week before the start of the Chicago Golden Gloves. "I'm afraid Keith's not going to come in on Friday iether, and he's not going to know what's going on," I told Steve. Two years ago, Keith rolled up on the first day of the Gloves over an half-hour late to be weighed in. The officials wouldn't let him box, and he raised all kinds of sand. As much as he said he didn't want to miss out again (he couldn't do it last year due to his work schedule), I'd hate for him to lose the opportunity. However, if he doesn't show up, what can be done?

I didn't even notice Mort wasn't in the gym until the end of the night. He had been in the Gloves two years ago as well. He lost a close fight during the preliminaries. I was working his corner alongside Steve that night, and Mort was mighty hot that he had lost. He accused his opponent of playing games and being underhanded. His opponent was a bit scared of him during the rounds, judging by the way he was skipping away from Mort most of the time.

Rias would have been a good candidate for the Gloves, I believe, but he didn't sign up. Jermaine probably would have too, but he didn't register, either. Besides, Jermaine is trying to get a rap music career off of the ground. Sadiq might have won it all if he had signed up, but I sense he's had a little loss of confidence since losing his last show fight.

Erin did sparring drills with Mike last night. Once she worked her jab more, and then hooked off it, she did well. I overheard a few of the guys saying, "Man, she's good! Remember when she knocked out that girl a while ago?" My niece's mom asked me last night what happened to Kristine. As far as I know, she comes in when the kids are in the gym, but I haven't seen her in several weeks.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen any of the kids and teens in a long time, like Diego, Kevin (Toby), Nate Jr., Freddie, Montrell, etc. They might show up at the Gloves to watch the matches.

No comments: