Sunday, March 18, 2007

Sunday Before The Gloves

I was in the gym both Friday and today. Keith sort of ticked Steve off on Friday. They were working on the mitts, when Keith decided he didn't want to do another round. He kept coughing and saying he was ill. "Come on man, you need it," Steve told him, but Keith left the ring and walked out of the gym for a few minutes. It is somewhat in Keith's favor that he does not have to fight during the Golden Gloves preliminary matches. He and Javonta got walk overs, so they don't have to fight until the semi-finals next week.

I heard that Samantha got walked over for the preliminaries, the semi-finals and the finals. I wish that could happen to me! She's automatically in for the National Golden Gloves.

Mort and Mike fight on Wednesday, and JJ fights on Friday, so the gym will be closed this week. All three of them were in the gym earlier this afternoon. Steve's main purpose for opening the gym today was not the workout. He wanted the guys to get some time in, but to go light. Steve wanted to double check that everyone had the equipment they needed for later this week.

Willie, a guy who used to come to my church on a regular basis, was also in the gym. I had mentioned after services was over this morning, that I was going to the gym. He got his gear and showed up for a workout. He was glad for it. He said he helped him clear his mind. I held mitts for him near the end of the session. Willie hits very hard, so I had to quickly adjust how I was holding the mitts.

Steve had little Eli with him, and the boy was sound asleep when he first came in. When he woke up, Eli observed everyone as they worked out.

No comments: