Thursday, January 18, 2007

More Arrivals

Four people who were not in the gym last week showed up last night -- three women and one guy. Steve was working with Mike, so he asked me to show them how to stand, how to get into their guard and the left jab. They all seemed enthusiastic about learning. I was surprised when one of the women, Maggie, asked how soon it would be before they could get into the ring. Based on what I've observed, it is rare that any woman who comes into the gym asks about sparring. Even I had to be coaxed into it, despite the fact that I had done some sparring at Degerberg before I began at Loyola Park.

Raquel is back, but her friend Bregina will probably not return. Both Racquel and Betty said they liked coming to Loyola Park, because it's not a pick-up place like some of the more well-known gyms appear to be.

Didn't get much of a workout last night, but I didn't mind because I like teaching others the basics. Besides, I was a bit tired, and my right knee is still acting funny. I received exercises from the physical therapist I saw earlier that morning. This morning, I did them, and my knee cracked and popped loudly. Sometimes I wonder if this is just the beginning of joint problems that will plague me for the rest of my life. Being sidelined and/or slowed down is not a happy thought for someone who is as active as I am.

No comments: