Saturday, December 30, 2006

Eli Visits The Gym

Steve had his son with him, explaining that his wife thought he wasn't going to be working that evening. She had gone to a party for a friend. I wish I had my camera with me, as Steve had Eli in his arms, putting the boy close enough to the heavy bags to throw a few punches. "He likes to jab, but I'm trying to get him to hook off of the jab," Steve joked.

Yale came in. He used to train at the Loyola Park gym years ago when the late Harlein Holden was the coach. I held pads for Yale and he did the same for me. I had a good workout, despite the limited mobility in my right knee.

Found out a little more about the situation with Sadiq's belt, and why his wife has possession of it. There is some martial discord going on between him and and his wife. That's a shame because he and Lauren haven't been married very long.

I believe next week begins the winter session for the Chicago Park District, so they'll probably be a lot of new faces in the gym. I have to see a doctor about my knee earlier that day. Hopefully, I won't show up to the gym on a cane.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Eli,

It's Alex I was one of the original Boxers of Harlein Holden. First I don;t know how the heck I got to your post LOL. I don't remember you but I was there for woof since 89 to 96 after Harlein died.
It's good to hear from some one that still remembers Harlein. Levi still around hahh? Berry is a great coach and I don't know who else is running the gym. I just opened my own Gym in Eagan, MN called Bare-Knuckles Boxing Club.
There might still be some pictures of me on the walls and I was part of the trophies in the front of by the entrance. Yep' I was part on the team that won the National Team Trophie.

Well good to see your posting and take care.

Alex Atempa
Bare-knuckles Boxing Club
omisito99@yahoo.com

kellahnitta said...

It's nice to see that Harlein left a wonderful mark folks. He was my uncle. I miss him. Thank you all for your comments.