Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Routine

I've been thinking about changing up my workout a little. This is how it's currently set up:

1. jump rope for two to four rounds
2. stretch (someone told me it's better to do this when the muscles are warmed up)
3. step bench for two rounds (I'm the only one in the gym who uses the step)
4. speed bag for three rounds
5. shadow box for three or four rounds
6. uppercut bag for two rounds
7. 24 push ups (I do push ups on my knees instead of my toes)
8. 30 to 50 crunches
9. three sets of 12 squats while holding a medicine ball
10. two or three rounds on the peanut bag
11. three to five rounds on the heavy bag

Once in a while, I stretch a rope the length of the ring and practice bobbing and weaving. Otherwise, that is practiced while shadow boxing. Occassionally, I do sprints, but after two in a row, I'm winded. The guys--all younger than me--do five or six. I may complete part of a third sprint. Other exercises, such as interval training, other medicine ball exercises, etc., are done sometimes. I have started doing crunches daily in addition to the two nights I'm in the gym.

Summer is ending, unfortunately, so I have to start thinking of other exercises I can do indoors at home. Not that I was doing a lot outside, which I blame on my laziness, as well as being too busy with other things, like rehearsing for the cabaret show I did a couple of weeks ago. I had planned to skate a lot more often, but I only was on the quads a few time, and still haven't touched the in-lines yet. Didn't walk on the track at Loyola University at all this season. Never put my bike in to be fixed, and I can't justify paying $50 now to get it in gear to ride only for this month and September. I'm tired of some of the exercise DVDs I have, but don't have the funds to expand the library. I'm going to have be creative this time to step up the exercise plan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to get a new jump rope. I used to do it a lot and then stopped. Any recommendations for brands, or will any do? I hardly got on my in-lines this summer either, but did go cycling. Can't believe summer is almost over again. Oh, well, next year.

Anonymous said...

Ah, I empathize with you. When it was summer, it was too hot to exercise. It's going to be too cold soon.

Some things I do indoors:
- assisted chin-ups on a chin-up bar in my kitchen doorway.
- running up the stairs at school (walk down, repeat 5-10 times)
- exercise bike

I'll try running outdoors this season though - hopefully I'll warm up fast.