Monday, August 21, 2006

Vacation Boxing

I spent part of last Thursday and Friday at JABB Gym, since Loyola Boxing gym was closed. Got some pointers on how to the hit the speed bag. According to the trainer who showed me, I have been hitting the bag wrong, using the sides of my fists, instead of punching it straight on. It does feel more effective, but I'll have to practice it some more.

JABB is nice, but as Steve said, it's a little too clean. Not dingy and lived in like Loyola or Windy City Gym. However, I have to give the owners credit. Seeing how some older gyms have went under, they started off catering to white collar boxers early on to keep their books in the black. However, all the times I've been there, I've yet to see a white collar boxer. Nothing but professional boxers. Maybe the white collar fighters show up in the evenings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still don't know what exactly a speed bag is supposed to do for you. As for hitting with the side of your fist vs. straight on, one boxing gym I've been to favored one style, and another favored the other style. Maybe they're both good.