Saturday, February 11, 2006

Two Guys

Two stocky guys came into the ring on Wednesday. One of them told Steve that he hadn't been out of the military very long. I know that they signed up for the class--I observed them at the registration desk. They were nowhere to be seen on Friday. Some people are like that. They like the idea of boxing, but putting the work in is another thing.

Told my stepmother about the sparring session I had against Sarah on Wednesday. Steve kept telling me to move, and I kept standing there like a statue, taking the punches. Funny how I can stay on my toes while working on the bags, but once inside the ring, I start plodding like Frankenstein's monster. She told me about a relative of hers who recently experienced having an aneurysm. "You have to be careful taking punches to the head like that!" she said. "Things like that could happen." I told her I had head gear on, but that never convinces anyone that my brain is safe from injury.

Lan is gone for awhile. She was going to be in on Friday, but unfortunately, there was a death in her family. Friday was her last day in Chicago for awhile; she's off to military training for a few months.

Danny told me he studies psychology. I knew he worked, but I didn't know that he was also going to school. "I don't know what I'm going to do with my degree," he said. "I'm twenty, and have my whole life ahead of me, but I'm confused. It seems that a lot of people in my generation are about where they are going." I remember being confused when I was his age, too. "You can take advice from everybody," I told him, "but in the end, it has to be your own decision."

No comments: