Saturday, February 04, 2006

Champions All Around

Some sad news to report: Steve's beloved water dragon passed away. Appears that his pet had been sick, but had not showed major signs of distress. Usually, water dragons live for a long time, so this was a shock to the coach.

Two champions in the gym this week: Junior, still high off of his success at the IL State Championships, and nine year old Diego, who won a state championship several weeks ago. It was reported that another state champion, Montrell, did well against his opponents at the Nat'l Silver Gloves, and is on his way to winning the whole thing.

I guess Leslie and the other Cassandra gave the gym up. Neither of them have been seen since the first day of the current session. Corey and Andrew still come in, although Andrew was not there last night. Didn't see Cole and his roommate Nathan, either. Nate Sr. came in and went some sparring rounds with Steve and the other Corey, whom I shall refer to as Big Corey. Soft-spoken Joe came in, and so did Danny. I was the only woman there, as Lan is still away.

Diego's parents and siblings have been picking him up from the gym. Dad wasn't there yesterday, but his mom showed up with two girls who looked like the boy's older siblings. He appears to be the only boy. His mom looks so young. I wonder if she is even thirty years old yet.

I told Steve and the guys that I put my name in to try out for the Windy City Rollers, a local all-female roller derby league. "Oh, shit!" Junior exclaimed. "I bet your boss had something to say about that," Steve grinned. Les had told me earlier that he thought I was "bent on self-destruction". Sometimes I get the feeling that my boss never takes chances and has always lived his life as carefully as possible. A friend on a childfree message board I frequent wrote after I announced it there, "It amazes me that you're this soft-hearted, kind Christian woman who can beat the shit of anyone easily. I love that for some reason!" I got a good laugh from that.

Put feelers out on a masters boxing group, letting people know that the Chicago Golden Gloves start next month, and registration will be soon. I would love to get a match this year, but I've been disappointed repeatedly. Even if I only managed to convince some male masters boxers to get involved, I will be satisfied. The local LBC has got to recognize that masters boxers do exist and promote the tournament to us a little better than they have been.

No comments: