Thursday, February 16, 2006

Two Guys Return and Contractions

The two guys, one of whom had been in Iraq, returned to the gym after their brief absence. One of them told Junior that he could get him into a club. Problem is, one has to be 21, and Junior won't be twenty until this summer. "Man, I'm going to be on the door, so I will comp you," the guy told him. "You got a real looking fake ID?" Sounded very illegal to me, but then I remembered I had a fake ID when I was Junior's age. Used it to get into a disco that was over a restaurant in downtown Chicago during my lunch hours. That was strange, a disco open during the day time. Ah, the early 1980's were fun.

Saddiq was the new guy in class today, and I showed him how to do some footwork. Steve worked with Junior for awhile, but had to go early and leave me in charge of the gym. No baby yet, but Ellen has been having mild contractions. "Doctor says it's normal," Steve explained. Having never had a child myself, I have to take his word for it.

Laura sent the article she did for her class about myself and boxing to Steve and I. She did an extremely nice job in capturing the gym and the people who populate it. I sent a copy to Margaret, the choir director at my church, and she commented about how observant Laura was, especially in regards to her descriptions of what goes on in the gym. I am curious to hear how her professor will grade her work.

Saw a tape of Junior and Mike's fights when they were at the State Championships last month. Mike got dusted by a blow to the chin from his opponent, and he lost. Junior dominated the guy that was in front of him, and the referee stopped it, giving the win to Junior. Junior's opponent was doubled over at one point, and extremely wobbly when the ref checked to see if he could continue.

No comments: