Thursday, August 29, 2019

Throwing Down At Eckhart Park


I can't call out instructions while I'm judging a fight.  But tonight at Eckhart Park's boxing show, I wish I could have during one fight.  One kid kept dropping his hands and not staying on his toes.  Each and every time the other kid saw an opening, they took it.  Of course, the other kid won.

Shifty mentioned that a fight between a brother and a sister was probably the first time that happened at a park district boxing show.  The girl won.  She kept tagging her brother with rights and left.  Her brother didn't have much in the way of defense.  Both kids were from Ogden Park.  I couldn't help but wonder if the girl won most of the fights she and her brother may have gotten into at home.

Melanie, who fights out of Loyola Park, had a tough time with her opponent, a woman from Humboldt Park, during the first round.  The woman kept coming at her with straight punches and hooks to the body.  In the second and third rounds, Melanie used her tall height and her long reach to her advantage.  Every time the woman charged in, Melanie had something waiting for her. Alan kept telling Melanie to "stick her". Melanie won her fight, which was the last of the evening.

Only six fights took place.  Bessemer, Brooks, Loyola, Humboldt, Harrison, and Ogden were the parks that were represented.  George from Garfield Park was there, but I don't know how many fighters he had with him.  None of them got matches.  I had no one with me as usual. 

Portage Park is where the next boxing show will be held, but I may skip that one.  It takes place three days after the fall season begins at LaFollette.  I'd rather not close up the gym on that day, especially if I have a crowd of new people that week. 






No comments: