Thursday, July 25, 2019

The Difference Between Night and Day In The Gym


Juan and Darnell, two teens in the boxing class, are different as day and night.  Darnell doesn't have an interest in competing.  His relatives are more interested in Darnell becoming fit and knowing how to defend himself.  So far, I'm constantly pointing out that Darnell needs to pay attention in class.  Also, Darnell can't do simple exercises properly, which is mainly the fault of the school system which does not provide good physical education classes these days.

Juan has had four fights, and he splits his training time between a private gym and the Chicago Park District.  His parents are very supportive of their son being in the sport, more than most of the parents that come through LaFollette Park.  From what I've seen of him so far, Juan is a decent fighter and he believes in working hard.  Juan also acts respectively towards adults.

Respect is something that has been lacking where Damaris and Jaylen are concerned.  Neither one of them has been in the gym this week.  Damaris is averaging once a week as far as her attendance is concerned.  She is still showing her disinterest in the sport and lack of motivation.  It was brought to my attention that she cursed at her mother recently.  I have witnessed Damaris smarting off to her mother in the past.  However, I never realized she was going that far with her disrespect.

I never get a notification when Jaylen isn't there at all nor acceptable excuses upon his return. Jaylen continually shows up late, often as much as twenty minutes some days.    Then several more minutes are wasted waiting on Jaylen to put on hand wraps and change his clothes and shoes.  Jaylen moves like molasses and gets an attitude when I expect quickness.  I've grown tired of the "I forgot" excuses used about things Jaylen has done numerous times before.  If I and Sahia don't stand over Jaylen, not much gets done.

I want to take Juan to the boxing shows that are scheduled in August.  Damaris' poor attitude disqualified her from participating in the shows some time ago.  I was going to take Jaylen to Seward Park next week, but that's now a no-go. 

No comments: