Friday, July 12, 2019

Cancel Summer


A couple of days ago, Sahia forced Jaylen to give me a statement about planning to do better in the gym.  I wasn't impressed as Jaylen's words were insincere and the boy's attitude was extremely funky.  "Uncoachable kids turn into adults who don't want to listen when someone is trying to tell them something to help them out.  People don't want to be around others who act like that," I replied.  I made it clear that we were not going to Garfield Park's boxing show, which took place yesterday, because of Jaylen's laziness and attitude problems.  Jaylen didn't come to the gym yesterday, and I suspect because of being ticked that he couldn't go to that show.  That was another signal to me that Jaylen fails to recognize who really is in control at LaFollette.

I'm seriously considering skipping the rest of the boxing shows that will take place this summer.  Jaylen lack of motivation, as well as Damaris' continued disinterest, irritates me constantly.  They are the only two who come to the youth class, and it's not worth me closing down the gym in light of their attitudes and spotty attendance.  I don't mind judging fights, but I'd rather not do that at every boxing show because I don't have people who want to compete.  I'd rather be working the corners.  Plus, public transportation to get anywhere was difficult when I was able-bodied.  Riding the trains and buses is even more of an issue now that I'm hobbling around with a cane.

There is no doubt there will be criticism from my supervisor and the boxing program coordinator if I decide to cancel participation in the summer shows.  The boxing program has been operating poorly for the past few years largely due to the lack of support from the area where the field house sits.  Each session, I'm confronted with more people who sign up for the program but would rather be elsewhere -- that's if they sign up at all or bother to show up once they've signed up.  I'll deal with the heat. 

A guy signed up his son for the teen class yesterday.  However, his younger son was with him, not the older son.  I'm always concerned when people don't have their kids front and center during the registration process.  I want to talk to the kids as well as the parents and guardians so everyone is on the same page regarding the program.  "Your son will be the only one in the class.  The other teen dropped out, and the rest of the teens in this area aren't interested in this sport," I told the dad which is the honest truth.  The dad was interested in his son learning self-defense since he'll be starting high school.  Once again, I wearily had to point out that boxing is not a self-defense class.

Then the dad assumed his younger son was automatically signed up for boxing because his son is currently in summer camp.  "First of all, the class for that age group is full.  Also, each program here has to be signed up for separately," I informed the parent.  I'm always boggled by what people think they should be entitled to instead of recognizing that rules probably prohibit what they want to happen. 

I'm not expecting that guy's son to last long in the class.  What usually happens with the teens is when they notice there aren't others in the gym to interact with they get bored and drop out.  That on top of most of the teens in general not wanting to put the effort into doing the workout also ends their time quickly in the gym. 

No comments: