Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Sleeping On The Program


Sahia arranged for Adrian to come to the gym yesterday to spar with both David and Esteban.  Adrian is now signed up for both the spring and summer boxing class at LaFollette.  However, Esteban didn't show up.  David told me his cousin was at home sleeping.  "Sleeping ain't gonna win a fight," I commented.

Adrian is very good in the ring, and also very good at giving pointers.  David kept acting like his left hand wasn't working and dropping his right hand.  Adrian helped David by giving him pointers. Esteban could have benefited from that too if only sleeping hadn't been more of a priority.

Jaylen, Aria, and Aaliyah didn't come in at all and didn't bother to call the field house to explain why.  I told Sahia that seldom does anyone bother to make those calls.  The few that do are lucky if I get the message as the phone at the front desk counter is often not answered or messages aren't written down and delivered most of the time.

I keep having a bad feeling about the boxing program.  The usual issues have been increasing lately.  Both Sahia and I are at a loss as to how to improve things because the area around the field house neither supports the program nor takes it seriously.  It is possible that the program could end up on the chopping block sooner than later.  The field house supervisor hinted at such when he complained to me recently about the lack of youths participating in the boxing shows -- and that was not the first time the supervisor brought that up. 

Honestly, my interest in being a boxing coach has gone down.  I'm sick and tired of taking a long commute to get to LaFollete Park and back and fighting to shore up a program that is not progressing. 

No comments: