Friday, May 24, 2019

Not My Circus


Sahia told me she could see the frustration on my face.  David and his cousin Esteban already can't be in the gym for more than three days out of the week.  Also, David never stays for the full hour because he attends a competitive swimming class.  I allow those two to spar early in the week because of that.  However, I'm not happy about doing that.

David has said that his dad won't let him fight.  "Then why does he allow you to take a boxing class?" I asked.  "He wants me to work out," David answered.  Seeing how David gets a workout during swimming, it almost appears to be overkill to have him do a boxing workout, too. 

Based on the information I've received that his parents aren't on board with their son's participation in the sport, I'm doubtful that Esteban will participate in LaFollette's boxing show next month.  Now Esteban is saying that he's graduating from eighth grade in June, and being in the boxing show may not be a possibility.  I don't know of any middle-school graduations that have ever taken place in the evenings, so I don't get why there would be a conflict with appearing in the boxing show.

Then there is Adrian whose father used to be a professional boxer but is not supportive of his son being in the sport. Adrian's dad basically told Sahia that she is responsible for providing whatever Adrian needs to stay in boxing.  One of the things she has been doing is chauffeuring Adrian between boxing classes at LaFollette Park and Portage Park. 

I'm beyond tired of the participants' outside dramas encroaching on how the boxing program needs to run.  I'm especially irritated when participants don't tell me about things that impact plans that I have made in relation to the boxing program.  That has been happening too much as of late. They often tell Sahia things because she will ask if she suspects something is going on.  I'm always the last to know something and hearing the news secondhand.  But even if I was given the courtesy of being the first to know, there's nothing I can do.

First of all, it's not my concern.  I often have suspicions that things are going on, but as an employee,  I am very limited as to what I can do.  I'm also not one to pry.  If people choose to divulge something to me, fine, but I'm not going to go digging for it.  My main concern at work is seeing that the boxing program is run within the guidelines of the park district's expectations.  I've been confronted with a lot from participants' lives including medical, mental and emotional issues, run-ins with the police, homelessness, etc. 

Besides, I'm constantly contending with my own personal issues.   I do have some sympathy and empathy for others' situations at times.  But I didn't carry any of those kids for nine months. I'm always thinking that parents and guardians need to strive harder to correct home situations where their kids are concerned.

No comments: